Action's experiments

Post your creations here so we can playtest them!

Moderator: Scout

Re: Action's experiments

Postby l-homme-d-action » Mon Jun 30, 2014 4:51 pm

yep but it's a "place holder anim" which came from http://gamebanana.com/models/2540 with the css hand rigs (before mines are done)
l-homme-d-action

Postby Black_Stormy » Mon Jun 30, 2014 7:29 pm

Ok I've had a look at that police car blend, here's what I think.

Immediately I can see a lot of shading errors which stem from shading the whole model smooth and not paying attention to smoothing groups (or in blender, the edge split modifier). I recently did a video on that for someone else:

Although based on your topology, a better way to solve these shading errors is to make a highpoly and bake from it. Highpoly models don't only provide extra details, they also allow you to override the surface normals of the lowpoly models. That means that if you had a highpoly model to bake from, these shading details wouldn't appear in game because source would read the normal map and shade according to the normals given, not the surface normals (Jorge step in there if I'm wrong).

Also it is great to see that you can get so much detail out of so little polies, the car has a good silhouette and reads very well as a police car even without a texture. However, the poly count is too low. That model is perfect for a first or second level LOD model, but the base model could be twice the polycount with no worries. That said, there are a lot of polies here that seem to exist only to provide neat loop flow, which isn't all that important for a lowpoly model.

There are also a lot of Ngons - faces made up of more than four vertices. These get optimized out when you export to SMD but it is better to avoid them entirely while modelling, so you know exactly what is going on under the hood. Ngons can triangulate oddly and cause shading problems easily.

Overall this is a good model, vehicles are a big undertaking and hard to get right, let alone get this accurate and get into source. You've done a good job here. With a little more practice you could have a really professional looking model. If you're still up for it I'd like to see a higher detail model for close up rendering, and you can use that model there for LOD, hence optimizing the game. It's just under 4000 tris right now, for a close up model you can go as high as 10,000 no problems, especially since you can LOD all the way down to 4000. If you would prefer to move on to bigger and better models, just take these points into consideration for your next one. If you want some really critical analysis of the model itself just let me know, I can do a video talk through of some more accurate and focused feedback.
Black_Stormy

Postby l-homme-d-action » Tue Jul 01, 2014 2:31 pm

Thanks for your help :) i'll try to make an higher poly one later .
for info i'll finish the m1a1 anim this week .
l-homme-d-action

Postby l-homme-d-action » Wed Jul 02, 2014 7:08 am

l-homme-d-action

Postby Vino » Wed Jul 02, 2014 12:25 pm

Gif has a low frame rate and it's ruining what looks to be an otherwise great animation. Why don't you upload it to youtube?
[ Tw | Fb | G+ ]
Vino
We'll see

Postby l-homme-d-action » Wed Jul 02, 2014 12:54 pm

need improvement
Last edited by l-homme-d-action on Sat Jul 12, 2014 1:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.
l-homme-d-action

Postby l-homme-d-action » Thu Jul 03, 2014 4:34 pm

Does this kind of fit to the game ?
l-homme-d-action

Postby Demolitions » Thu Jul 03, 2014 4:51 pm

Please?
Demolitions

Postby Black_Stormy » Thu Jul 03, 2014 9:04 pm

I reckon it certainly kind of does, with a little bit of texturing of course. Don't be afraid to go highpoly on that, there's only ever one on screen and it's right up close so it's better to get high detail on that bitch. The ones that will be put in the player models hands (the world model or w_model) will be a super lowpoly bake down of this one. We can bake anything down if it's too complex so forget about poly limits!
Black_Stormy

Postby Vino » Fri Jul 04, 2014 2:06 am

What is it?
[ Tw | Fb | G+ ]
Vino
We'll see

Postby l-homme-d-action » Fri Jul 04, 2014 5:57 am

Demolitions wrote:Image

Please?

maybe...
Black_Stormy wrote:I reckon it certainly kind of does, with a little bit of texturing of course. Don't be afraid to go highpoly on that, there's only ever one on screen and it's right up close so it's better to get high detail on that bitch. The ones that will be put in the player models hands (the world model or w_model) will be a super lowpoly bake down of this one. We can bake anything down if it's too complex so forget about poly limits!

i dont texture it already (obviousely) but i would .
and the high poly is quite done :
Vino wrote:What is it?

l-homme-d-action

Postby Vino » Fri Jul 04, 2014 11:41 am

Yeah but what does it do?
[ Tw | Fb | G+ ]
Vino
We'll see

Postby Demolitions » Fri Jul 04, 2014 4:32 pm

Vino wrote:Yeah but what does it do?

Pretty sure it shoots bullets and kills people.
Demolitions

Postby Vino » Sat Jul 05, 2014 1:40 am

O U
[ Tw | Fb | G+ ]
Vino
We'll see

Postby l-homme-d-action » Sat Jul 12, 2014 1:17 pm

Reload done, melee done and draw plus shoot fixed (not in the footage) .Next step : texture :D
l-homme-d-action

PreviousNext

Return to Community Submissions