da_miami

Post your creations here so we can playtest them!

Moderator: Scout

da_miami

Postby Bine » Sat Jun 28, 2014 5:36 pm

DA_MIAMI
da_miami is a boogalistic map set in an ultra-tacky 80s disco in Miami. It's also completely unfinished and basically unplayable, but I'd love for that to change.

ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage

This is a map I've been working on that I'm rapidly losing patience with. Lack of foresight for me has meant that I'm struggling to see an endgame for the map and work out how it should play. I'm throwing this up here so that anyone who wants to can take over or dissect the map or just provide feedback for me to improve it.

So that said, feel free to do with this whatever you'd like.

Download:
Mediafire Download
Bine

Re: da_miami

Postby Black_Stormy » Sat Jun 28, 2014 7:08 pm

Awesome, I was hoping you'd put this up here. I love the setting. DAB needs more over the top tacky to satirize. Fits in so well with the action movie thing. Maybe someone ca pick it up or even just find inspiration. I'll have another look at it and leave some feedback here for later. I'll try to make it relevant for future maps so you can abandon this one if you feel the need and incorporate it into your next map.
Black_Stormy

Postby Demolitions » Sat Jun 28, 2014 9:12 pm

I can definitely take a look at it. I need to edit this damn video, and finish up my map a bit more, but i can take a look. What exactly is keeping it from being playable?
Demolitions

Postby Dementei » Sat Jun 28, 2014 11:30 pm

Love the design and look of it, I think it would look a whole lot better with brighter lights outside much like the da_streets ones. The layout is pretty small, as nice as it looks, but seems more like a TTT map (which isn't a bad thing, there's a lot of well made TTT maps). DA has always been hard to map for considering how quickly players can move around the map and all the stunts you can do, the map has to fit the gameplay, so big and open and things to dive onto or slide under are key. Just be sure to keep that in mind when making a map and you'll be golden.
Dementei
BIG D

Postby Bine » Sun Jun 29, 2014 5:52 am

Demolitions wrote:I can definitely take a look at it. I need to edit this damn video, and finish up my map a bit more, but i can take a look. What exactly is keeping it from being playable?

Basically I started making the map with a pretty good idea of how I wanted it to look without much consideration as to how it would play. That isn't to say I didn't think at all about how it could be played, but now that I've reached a stage where the look is almost complete I'm sort of baffled as to how I can turn it into a fun map. For example, I had this great vision for a bright, flashing dancefloor with lights etc, people diving through the air and shooting at eachother while music drones on loudly, but as soon as I'd finished that I kind of realized there's this whole other room around it that doesn't particularly play well.

Let me know if you have any ideas or make any changes.

Dementei wrote:Love the design and look of it, I think it would look a whole lot better with brighter lights outside much like the da_streets ones. The layout is pretty small, as nice as it looks, but seems more like a TTT map (which isn't a bad thing, there's a lot of well made TTT maps). DA has always been hard to map for considering how quickly players can move around the map and all the stunts you can do, the map has to fit the gameplay, so big and open and things to dive onto or slide under are key. Just be sure to keep that in mind when making a map and you'll be golden.

Completely with you. I didn't want to make too large a map because I think small maps scale better to a larger number of players than large maps with fewer players. I've got a couple of other map ideas floating around that I want to work on which I intend to put a lot more thought into.

Also if anybody wants to add me to steam, here's my profile.
Bine

Return to Community Submissions