[MAP RELEASE]"da_CantTouchThis-Alpha" (ts_hammertime remake)

Post your creations here so we can playtest them!

Moderator: Scout

[MAP RELEASE]"da_CantTouchThis-Alpha" (ts_hammertime remake)

Postby EdUdE » Tue Jul 29, 2014 3:43 pm

[NOTES]
*This is the first public release (alpha) of "CantTouchThis", which is a Double Action Boogaloo remix of the "The Specialists- Half-Life Mod" map "ts_hammertime".

*I decided to convert this map after seeing what an awesome job da_rooftops was from ts_lobby. I operate my own landscaping business in central Texas and work has been dry, so I decided to convert my favorite map "ts_hammertime" from TS to DAB. I did this to play my favorite map on DAB and kill some time. (BOY DID I ACHIEVE THE SECOND ONE). I used to map for some Half-Life mods (GoldSource), Including "Tour of Duty", "Arctic Warfare" , "Global Warfare", and a few others. When Source came out I quit mapping. So it's been about 10 years since I last opened up Hammer. It was fun learning the new entities and working towards something I knew I could later enjoy.

*The original map is all there with new areas and 100% of the map is now reachable/playable. It has HDR lighting, a new outside area (very much still a WIP), and the whole map has been tweaked to work with Source/DAB.

*It took 6 days worth of 12 hour days and a total of 43 test builds to get this far, and the map is still a Work In Progress.

*THIS IS NOT A FINAL RELEASE!
-Please help by taking screenshots!( https://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Screenshot ) of bugs you find as you play. (Including But Not Limited to- Textures that don't Render [clear], Textures that are not found [purple/black checkered], Textures that have zero lighting [Pitch Black], Anywhere you get stuck, Anywhere you lag-out [please include your FPS {enable developer console from adv. options menu, press ` , type in "net_graph 3"} with the screenshot for this], Console Errors, Random bugs, ect.). Please upload the screenshots somewhere ( https://www.google.com/search?q=img+host ). and post a link to your bug screenshot in your reply. Server logging on my server is now available so if you would like to comment on the map in game I should be able to see your responses.

*It is now available from Wizards server and mine.
Image


*I also am in need of someone who is good with applying textures, as I am not happy with my own texture work. If you are talented with texture application I will send you the .vmf to work on, and of course you will be included in the credits. (And your name in a secret area in the final release!)

*The outside area is almost unworked on, (I just threw in a few things as examples, but nothing is final). It would be nice to hear peoples opinions on what they would like to see in the outside area.

[SCREENSHOTS]
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image

[VIDEO]
YOUTUBE LINK COMING SOON!

[CREDITS]

*Original (ts_hammertime) Design:
Will Schnevel
Cayle George
(Without them this map would not exist -Thanks!)


*Prefabs:
Kep Pump
Necrotales Games
Hex!
T3cH
Valve

*Textures:
Valve

*Sounds:
Valve
MC Hammer (Grammy Awarded "U Can't Touch This" for Best Rap Solo Performance -1990)

*GoldSource to Source conversion and tweaking for DAB:
EdUdE

[ :arrow: DOWNLOAD MIRRORS :!: ]
*ONLY DOWNLOAD IF YOU ACCEPT THAT THIS IS AN ALPHA RELEASE AND SO THINGS ARE NOT YET 100%!
Mirror 1:
http://www.gamefront.com/files/24391390/cantouchthisa2.zip
It is also downloadable directly from servers running the map.
ANYONE WITH A MIRROR LET ME KNOW!
Last edited by EdUdE on Sat Aug 02, 2014 6:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Image
EdUdE
 
Posts: 4
Joined: Tue Jul 29, 2014 3:09 pm

Re: [MAP RELEASE]"da_CantTouchThis-Alpha" (ts_hammertime rem

Postby clankill3r » Tue Jul 29, 2014 4:59 pm

I like that hammertime looked liked a constuction site where things needed to be finished and here it looks like it needs to be teared apart.

Looks great, hammertime was one of my favorite maps. Not to small, not to big. Good use of different heights and great for stunting.
clankill3r
 
Posts: 101
Joined: Thu May 03, 2007 5:37 am

Re: [MAP RELEASE]"da_CantTouchThis-Alpha" (ts_hammertime rem

Postby Black_Stormy » Tue Jul 29, 2014 6:35 pm

It looks super blocky right now but I guess that's good for playtesting. A lot of your textures are scaled up and off-kilter but you mentioned you're not too confident with texture application. I'm not a big fan of taking maps from the specialists and remaking them for DA. It's a different game and I don't want to keep drawing comparisons to it but if the maps are super good then we do need nice maps. We should playtest this sometime and see what people think.
User avatar
Black_Stormy
 
Posts: 469
Joined: Tue May 14, 2013 10:57 am

Re: [MAP RELEASE]"da_CantTouchThis-Alpha" (ts_hammertime rem

Postby Vino » Tue Jul 29, 2014 7:03 pm

This was one of my favorite maps but there are some issues with us using it. DA is not TS, and we've intentionally only taken one map from TS. All other maps are new. One reason is that DA movement is much different from TS movement, areas need to be shaped differently, maps need to be different sizes. Another reason is the original mappers. If we can't get their okay to use it then it's fine but otherwise I'm not comfortable with decompiling their stuff to use in DA.

If we can do some significant work on it and reshape it to be better for DA then I'm more open to it. You're likely to be able to get Wizard of Distortion to put it on his server, which is a good server for playtesting. We'll give it a crack there and see what it needs.
[ Tw | Fb | G+ ]
User avatar
Vino
We'll see
 
Posts: 3969
Joined: Wed May 02, 2007 7:25 pm
Location: Cary, NC

Re: [MAP RELEASE]"da_CantTouchThis-Alpha" (ts_hammertime rem

Postby Wizard of Distortion » Thu Jul 31, 2014 2:35 am

EdUdE you should add me on steam
and please make a new release and pakrat the sound files into the bsp for me to upload to the server
i tried pakratting the sound files into the bsp, but now people cant download the map from my server for some reason.
you gotta compile a new version with a modified name and pakrat the sound files in, if you have any questions, ask me.
my steam name is Wizard of Distortion, add me
Wizard of Distortion
 
Posts: 17
Joined: Mon Aug 26, 2013 3:44 am

Re: [MAP RELEASE]"da_CantTouchThis-Alpha" (ts_hammertime rem

Postby EdUdE » Thu Jul 31, 2014 7:58 pm

Black_Stormy wrote:It looks super blocky right now but I guess that's good for playtesting. A lot of your textures are scaled up and off-kilter but you mentioned you're not too confident with texture application. I'm not a big fan of taking maps from the specialists and remaking them for DA. It's a different game and I don't want to keep drawing comparisons to it but if the maps are super good then we do need nice maps. We should playtest this sometime and see what people think.


I want to playtest with real people before i rebuild the brushes and make sure this is worth my time. And yes, the textures do suck. (I am hoping someone with a better artistic touch then me can help with this.)

Vino wrote:This was one of my favorite maps but there are some issues with us using it. DA is not TS, and we've intentionally only taken one map from TS. All other maps are new. One reason is that DA movement is much different from TS movement, areas need to be shaped differently, maps need to be different sizes. Another reason is the original mappers. If we can't get their okay to use it then it's fine but otherwise I'm not comfortable with decompiling their stuff to use in DA.

If we can do some significant work on it and reshape it to be better for DA then I'm more open to it. You're likely to be able to get Wizard of Distortion to put it on his server, which is a good server for playtesting. We'll give it a crack there and see what it needs.


This map as far as size and scale for gameplay actually works better in dab then ts ever did (Try stunting around the map its really fun.) things (such as windows, crates, ect.) have been added/removed/resized already to make it even more fun in dab. I was nervous about using a decompiled map myself, but when I thought of all the good maps throughout the years that have been remade for newer engines i kinda thought of it more as a compliment then taking away from anything the original creators did. If anyone is able to find contact information for Will Schnevel and/or Cayle George I would love to contact them and get their consent.

Wizard of Distortion wrote:EdUdE you should add me on steam
and please make a new release and pakrat the sound files into the bsp for me to upload to the server
i tried pakratting the sound files into the bsp, but now people cant download the map from my server for some reason.
you gotta compile a new version with a modified name and pakrat the sound files in, if you have any questions, ask me.
my steam name is Wizard of Distortion, add me


I sent you a friends request and i pakratted the sounds and nav I am currently uploading it to my rented server to test. -Thanks for the help!
Image
EdUdE
 
Posts: 4
Joined: Tue Jul 29, 2014 3:09 pm

Re: [MAP RELEASE]"da_CantTouchThis-Alpha" (ts_hammertime rem

Postby Dementei » Thu Jul 31, 2014 10:00 pm

Hey eDuDe haven't got to test out the map but just wanted to say if you wanted to save some money and have actual access to customize your server you should go with http://www.simrai.com/ they host our official servers for us.

I used to have two Multiplay servers for DAB actually but they were so slow in updating our mod and having no access to FTP was a real downer, definitely reconsider if I were you :P
Image
User avatar
Dementei
BIG D
 
Posts: 1086
Joined: Thu Mar 31, 2011 9:28 pm

Re: [MAP RELEASE]"da_CantTouchThis-Alpha" (ts_hammertime rem

Postby EdUdE » Thu Jul 31, 2014 11:33 pm

Dementei wrote:Hey eDuDe haven't got to test out the map but just wanted to say if you wanted to save some money and have actual access to customize your server you should go with http://www.simrai.com/ they host our official servers for us.

I used to have two Multiplay servers for DAB actually but they were so slow in updating our mod and having no access to FTP was a real downer, definitely reconsider if I were you :P


It's funny you say this because i was already considering using a different service. Multiplay takes an avg. of 3hrs to make any updates to the server and they have broken it twice already. the latest and current brake is when i asked them to turn logging on and now I get "disconnect: server uses different class tables" (All they had to do was make a "/logs" dir. how can they manage to break the server from this?) I will defiantly switch services ASAP. Thank you for the recommendation, I wasn't sure where to turn. I wont be recommending multiplay to ANYONE, that's for sure.

[EDIT]
I just looked at simrai and didn't see an option for hl2, hl2dm or sdk2013. Which option do I choose on this page: https://www.simrai.com/portal/cart/?gid=1&currency=3 to create a DAB server?
[/EDIT]
Image
EdUdE
 
Posts: 4
Joined: Tue Jul 29, 2014 3:09 pm

Re: [MAP RELEASE]"da_CantTouchThis-Alpha" (ts_hammertime rem

Postby Dementei » Fri Aug 01, 2014 3:46 am

EdUdE wrote:I just looked at simrai and didn't see an option for hl2, hl2dm or sdk2013. Which option do I choose on this page: https://www.simrai.com/portal/cart/?gid=1&currency=3 to create a DAB server?


Nice man, can't get much better than SimRai really, hmm as for the game go with CS:S then let them know that you want it for DAB as a 2013 MP Source mod. Raizio the owner of the company is offline atm but you can add him and wait for him to get online to ask: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Raiizio

Also get 16 slots or less.
Image
User avatar
Dementei
BIG D
 
Posts: 1086
Joined: Thu Mar 31, 2011 9:28 pm

Re: [MAP RELEASE]"da_CantTouchThis-Alpha" (ts_hammertime rem

Postby Rai » Sat Aug 02, 2014 8:02 am

You can now order the product on our website. It's under it's own name.
EdUdE, I already switched your server to DAB.

Time to create a bunch of servers for public play.
User avatar
Rai
 
Posts: 70
Joined: Sat Aug 02, 2014 7:57 am
Location: Netherlands

Re: [MAP RELEASE]"da_CantTouchThis-Alpha" (ts_hammertime rem

Postby Black_Stormy » Sat Aug 02, 2014 12:04 pm

Hey while you're at it make that image in your signature a link to the website. People are lazy and don't want to write out addresses.

EDIT: I see DAB is on your website as a supported game. Awesome!
User avatar
Black_Stormy
 
Posts: 469
Joined: Tue May 14, 2013 10:57 am

Re: [MAP RELEASE]"da_CantTouchThis-Alpha" (ts_hammertime rem

Postby Rai » Sat Aug 02, 2014 1:52 pm

Black_Stormy wrote:Hey while you're at it make that image in your signature a link to the website. People are lazy and don't want to write out addresses.

EDIT: I see DAB is on your website as a supported game. Awesome!


Good tip, changed the signature now.
And yeah, DAB is fully done. Even got one click install in for sourcemod.
User avatar
Rai
 
Posts: 70
Joined: Sat Aug 02, 2014 7:57 am
Location: Netherlands

Re: [MAP RELEASE]"da_CantTouchThis-Alpha" (ts_hammertime rem

Postby EdUdE » Sat Aug 02, 2014 6:42 pm

I've switched to simrai and I am very glad I did. An ftp, fast responses to tickets, better prices, better pings. Anyone who is looking to create a DAB server simrai FTW!
Image
EdUdE
 
Posts: 4
Joined: Tue Jul 29, 2014 3:09 pm

Re: [MAP RELEASE]"da_CantTouchThis-Alpha" (ts_hammertime rem

Postby Dementei » Sat Aug 02, 2014 9:01 pm

Cant' wait for SourceMod support for 2013 mods would be interesting to see what custom things you could do.
Image
User avatar
Dementei
BIG D
 
Posts: 1086
Joined: Thu Mar 31, 2011 9:28 pm

Re: [MAP RELEASE]"da_CantTouchThis-Alpha" (ts_hammertime rem

Postby Rai » Sun Aug 03, 2014 7:14 am

Dementei wrote:Cant' wait for SourceMod support for 2013 mods would be interesting to see what custom things you could do.


Added in since sourcemod 1.6.0, which was released a month ago.
What a time to be alive.
User avatar
Rai
 
Posts: 70
Joined: Sat Aug 02, 2014 7:57 am
Location: Netherlands

Next

Return to Community Submissions

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron