da_Warehouse [WiP]

Post your creations here so we can playtest them!

Moderator: Scout

da_Warehouse [WiP]

Postby AggressiveDuckling » Wed Aug 13, 2014 4:28 am

This the map that I'v been working on for the last day. It (obviously) needs a bunch more stuff put in it but I think it is coming along nicely. Tell me what ya'll think! :)

Pictures of Map: http://imgur.com/a/1NJji
Last edited by AggressiveDuckling on Wed Aug 13, 2014 10:17 am, edited 2 times in total.
AggressiveDuckling

Re: da_Warehouse [WiP]

Postby AggressiveDuckling » Wed Aug 13, 2014 5:38 am

Also, this was totally the map I had trouble loading yesterday.
AggressiveDuckling

Postby Scout » Wed Aug 13, 2014 10:24 am

Moving this to community submission.
Scout

Postby Black_Stormy » Wed Aug 13, 2014 3:26 pm

I have made a bunch of warehouse racking models and some other stuff you could use in this map. If you have Hammer set up properly you'll be able to use them. Search for "warehouse" in the model browser. Also search for "railings", there's a whole bunch of models that you can use here.

As for your warehouse, you need to think about what each surface is made up of. For instance the roof in the first pic is super thick, but I think it would be constructed out of sheet metal (probably corrugated) which means it's actually very thin. Have a look at some reference images and you'll see that it needs to be much thinner AND that it will need to have a bunch of wooden or metal supports (which luckily is an easy way to create detail).

Also your walls are super thick. Before you do too much more just make sure that the BSP is representative of the structural materials that would actually be used here. Google images is your boogaloo partner. Take the time to do up your BSP nicely because when it comes to models you'll find most of the source stuff is laughably inappropriate. Have you planned this map out in advance? You should read the map design principles we have specifically for Boogaloo.

What you have so far looks great though! Take your time and make it really nice and we'll playtest it when you feel like it's ready!
Black_Stormy

Postby Dementei » Wed Aug 13, 2014 5:53 pm

Layout looks good but the map scale is just too big compared to the player and as Stormy said with the thickness and such.
Dementei
BIG D

Postby Vino » Thu Aug 14, 2014 11:07 am

Very nice I like the differences in height and the wide areas combined with tIght areas.

I have two suggestions. One, you started your map inside a large box and you appear to have conformed all of your design thinking to be in that box. As a result the level has a large box feel. I think you should think outside of the box. More variation in the form of the outside walls will be a variety win and a player flow win.

Second you'll need to be highly concerned about engine visibility and Portals. If all sections are visible from each other to the engine then even the fastest server will choke after 10 or 12 players get on. I have a video about area Portals for this purpose I'll try to dig it up.

Good work.
[ Tw | Fb | G+ ]
Vino
We'll see

Return to Community Submissions