[WIP] da_center

Post your creations here so we can playtest them!

Moderator: Scout

[WIP] da_center

Postby Penguininnabox » Tue Dec 23, 2014 7:16 pm

As per Stormy's request, this is gonna get slapped over here until I feel it deserves to be out of a WIP phase.

Have a screenshot: Image

(Yeah, scale is a bit wonky right now, that what I've been sinking my time into atm)

The basic setting is a pretty run down hospital (holes in the roof, uncleaned blood in operating rooms) and a small outside area, with a focus on having many ways to get around the map.

EDIT: fixed the images, apparently steam changed the link base for images :roll:
Last edited by Penguininnabox on Wed Nov 25, 2015 3:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Scout wrote:How the hell did these arctic animals get so good with firearms?
Penguininnabox

Re: [WIP] da_center

Postby Black_Stormy » Wed Dec 24, 2014 12:12 am

Good start, keep us updated as you go.
Black_Stormy

Postby Penguininnabox » Sun Dec 28, 2014 3:16 pm

Recently:

- Fixed a breakable window that was causing the map to crash when it runs (I read what texture to use wrong :lol: )
- Added the base for the transition to 2nd floor of hospital, unsure if I want this as stairs or some kind of flip trick players will have to do

- Added scaffolding to the "big fan vent area" to lead into 2nd floor more easily

(I'm not too sure on that window, it looks kinda strange once it breaks, might flip it to a standard func break
Last edited by Penguininnabox on Sat Jan 23, 2016 10:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Penguininnabox

Postby Black_Stormy » Sun Dec 28, 2014 9:50 pm

Yeah you've stretched the texture there. Reset the texture scale X and scale Y to 0.25. It's all quite low detail at the moment, are you going to do a detail pass? Simple things like window frames and door jambs go a long way for granular detail. Also I want to see it lit. Lighting is a whole new ballpark. I was just reading today about source lighting:

http://www.tophattwaffle.com/lighting-tips-tricks-and-hints/ - a good overview of the technical aspects
http://www.valvesoftware.com/publications/2006/SIGGRAPH06_Course_ShadingInValvesSourceEngine.pdf - you can largely skip the maths and still get something out of this one
https://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Intermediate_Lighting - the trusty old VDC
Black_Stormy

Postby Penguininnabox » Mon Dec 29, 2014 1:02 pm

I am planning on adding MUCH more detail later, theres still going to be a 2nd floor to the hospital, that loops back to the outside area, and once I finish that, detail will be more of a focus.
Penguininnabox

Postby Penguininnabox » Wed Nov 25, 2015 3:24 pm

So Wizard just reminded me that this existed! :shock: Went back to working on it, basic geometry is finished, looking at detail and lighting now.

Also fixing the images in the main post. :lol:

Edit: Am I crazy, or is there a wheelchair mdl somewhere in HL2? Cant seem to find one.
Penguininnabox

Return to Community Submissions