DA_DeepFreeze

Post your creations here so we can playtest them!

Moderator: Scout

Re: DA_DeepFreeze

Postby Black_Stormy » Fri Jan 02, 2015 7:47 pm

Ott wrote: Make sure you block it off in a believable manner, and even then put an invisible wall on it. Players can jump surprisingly high.

I kinda like being able to get up on top of buildings. It can provide a lot more paths through a level. It's a bit hard on vis but you can design around that by making different height buildings and enclosing their interiors more. It's totally a personal choice though, whatever works best for the map.
Black_Stormy

Postby Dementei » Fri Jan 02, 2015 8:50 pm

Ooo didn't realize we were still using the forums, I like the new theme!

Also cool map, should be fun. It does seem like it could use something to block off half the map, like a big factory splat in the center. Might be too hard to do something like that now though, up to you.
Dementei
BIG D

Postby Demolitions » Sat Jan 03, 2015 10:47 pm

Yeah I think it works better for the map if you cant get on the buildings. The map is a square with plenty of routes to each area. I'm adding a few indoor areas right now.

Im kind of drunk so im trying to explain as well as i can right now.
Demolitions

Postby Demolitions » Sun Jan 04, 2015 12:01 am

Ey double post lol.

So i just qucik added this so it cuts off the veiw across the map simply, and adds another way to get across [though bare in mind all gaps are crossable by jumping in EVERY class, not just athletic

Demolitions

Postby Black_Stormy » Wed Jan 07, 2015 12:30 pm

That's a good form of cover, how many of those containers are hollow? They would be a good way to counter snipers. Are you making the interiors of those buildings? Could be some cool lighting opportunities in there.
Black_Stormy

Postby Demolitions » Wed Jan 07, 2015 10:57 pm

Currently there are 2. One shown above, and a 2nd on in the back ground that is used as a ramp from the ice to the platform.

Not sure about interiors yet. So far only 1 building has interior
Demolitions

Postby Black_Stormy » Sat Jan 31, 2015 11:14 am

Any progress on this? I'm looking forward to playing it
Black_Stormy

Postby Demolitions » Sat Jan 31, 2015 5:27 pm

Lol not much. I started a new position at my job, and have been working like crazy. This past week was the first week ive had a day off, and of course i get a nasty flu. It's going to be worked on still, just feeling so crappy right now
Demolitions

Postby Black_Stormy » Sat Jan 31, 2015 7:39 pm

Flu sucks, take it easy man!
Black_Stormy

Postby Demolitions » Fri Feb 13, 2015 7:56 pm

Dropbox to a playable version of the map: https://www.dropbox.com/s/mak4hd5zz63o0 ... e.bsp?dl=0

Still got a lot of empty spaces, so i might hold off on adding it to a server rotation as of now. And to be honest the layout isnt even set in stone. I was just having some fun with bsp details of buildings. I may make it a bit tighter and less open, but I am absolutely TERRIBLE with layouts for mapping.
Demolitions

Postby Black_Stormy » Sat Feb 14, 2015 1:36 am

The blessing (and curse) of DA mapping is that there really is no hard and fast rules about layout. In CS for instance you have bomb locations and player timing and sniper lanes and all that stuff. In DA you really just need stuff to dive from, flip off and slide under. That freedom means you can do whatever you want with your map but it also means you have almost no guidance. I totally understand how that can be paralyzing, so here's what I think you should do with this map.

This warehousy building could be the main play area for players and could provide great cover from campers and snipers. Extend it out, remove that hole (or work it into the design) and allow some player paths around and through it. Windows are always fun to dive through, and provide new ways for players to enter or exit an area.

Block off the rear area to enclose the space a little and force the player to move back into the battle area. Make an interior for the forge building to give an alternate route. I suggest keeping the wall between the alleyway behind the forge and the interior of the forge itself, ie no windows. I think that will keep both areas unique to each other and give the illusion of multiple areas in the map.

Extend this warehouse out and provide an interior for it. This could be a fun 'sidelane' and could give players more options to escape the inevitable rooftop campers. Bonus points if you use the concrete foundation to create some multi-level stuff inside the warehouse. I also drew in some random clutter and a roller door, which you could even set up to open and close like the one in da_megachat. Also block off the left side of the image, like in the previous image.

Clip that shit. Right now you can't walk or slide into there (you have to jump), and nothing's less cool than being stopped short as you're trying to boogaloo your way out of a tight spot.

also this

I was just doodling some ideas for player paths here. This building would benefit from an interior.

Mostly you just need to block off the skybox a little and provide a few interiors. Try to make holes in the brushwork for players to dive/slide through. I noticed that you can slide under the deck of the main warehouse building, but it's so long that you end up stopping and sliding around prone underneath it to get out. It's cool to have sliding spots but they are best used as small escapeways or entry points for firefight areas. The idea is that a skilled player can use a small opening to escape from an imminent ass whooping, or to make a guns-blazing sneaky entrance to a play area. Also don't be afraid to use clip brushes to guide the player into an opening.

One of the things that usually gets me is the meta of a map. The backstory, the universe. It's reason for existence. A backstory and setting goes a long way to informing the map in all aspects, from layout to details to texture selection and spawnpoints and everything in between. Do you have a setting for this map? Here's an example of a meta setting that could apply to this map:

TJ Shipping and Wholesale is an criminal enterprise loosely disguised as an international logistics firm. They traffick weapons and illegal money for covert interested parties through their international supply chain. A recent shipment has arrived at the industrial end of the docks and has been intercepted by a rival street gang who are vying for an easy smash and grab. A firefight breaks out...

Ok I'm done typing now :P
Black_Stormy

Previous

Return to Community Submissions