DA_DeepFreeze

Post your creations here so we can playtest them!

Moderator: Scout

DA_DeepFreeze

Postby Demolitions » Fri Dec 26, 2014 4:55 am

SO YEAH for those who don't know/ didn't see my old computer crapped itself to death and took a bunch of my WIP maps along with it. Luckily i still have a few of them saved, but i lost a lot of work, and it took me some time to build a new pc. Well I finally did, and it's time to get some maps going.

The idea behind it being a small inlet port for smaller shipment boats has frozen over, making the water solid. The black parts in between the raised areas will be the frozen water, kind of splitting the level into an upper, and lower area. I may even include a small playable area out in the frozen ocean with a ship stuck in the ice, though the map seems a bit larger already.
Demolitions

Re: DA_DeepFreeze

Postby Black_Stormy » Fri Dec 26, 2014 11:59 am

Nice, I like the idea of frozen water. Maybe we can spruce it up a little with some fancy shaders and such. A bit of trasparency and refract, some snow decals on top and such.
Black_Stormy

Postby Penguininnabox » Fri Dec 26, 2014 3:50 pm

You might want to consider some kind of cover on the edge of those "islands", as that looks like a Vindcators wet dream right now XD

Other than that, I love the concept, and the openness does lend itself well to giving Athletic players a leg up.
Scout wrote:How the hell did these arctic animals get so good with firearms?
Penguininnabox

Postby Demolitions » Sat Dec 27, 2014 5:04 am

Black_Stormy wrote:Nice, I like the idea of frozen water. Maybe we can spruce it up a little with some fancy shaders and such. A bit of trasparency and refract, some snow decals on top and such.

Thought about it, and want to do it, but i'd definitely need help with that.

Also bumping with more buildings. Keep the thread alive to keep me working lol

Demolitions

Postby Black_Stormy » Sat Dec 27, 2014 11:32 am

Toronto had one hell of a winter last year and pretty much froze over. There's a fair bit of reference imagery you can pull from that. Here's some pics of that and a bunch of others I found in the net that may help you.

https://ssl.panoramio.com/user/297581?comment_page=1&photo_page=2&show=best
http://blackburnnews.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/02/Sarnia-harbour-620x400.jpg
http://icelandpenny.files.wordpress.com/2014/02/harbourfront-010.jpg
http://www.wanderlustwonder.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/Lake-Michigan.jpg
http://frametoframe.ca/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/frozen-docks-at-Colonel-Samuel-Smith-Park-in-winter-etobicoke.jpg
http://s0.geograph.org.uk/geophotos/02/20/93/2209392_069af941.jpg

Those buidings are looking good. Make sure you func_detail all the little bits. I work from reference as much as I can. It not only makes for a more believable environment, it makes it easier to figure out what to do next. Good work so far!
Black_Stormy

Postby Demolitions » Sat Dec 27, 2014 3:30 pm

Yeah, all the buildings so far are based off of real buildings courtesy of google image search of "brick factory" :lol:

I really meant i needed help doing the shaders, and making it look all fancy. I will need some customer textures for sure, but we'll get to it when we get to it.
Demolitions

Postby Ott » Sat Dec 27, 2014 6:26 pm

Take a look at the 'water' shader. It has dynamic reflections.
ImageImage
Ott

Postby Black_Stormy » Sat Dec 27, 2014 8:21 pm

Oh yeah I know exactly how to do a nice frozen water shader, I'll give you a hand doing it when it comes up. For now get it all playing well and we'll worry about the technical stuff later.
Black_Stormy

Postby Demolitions » Tue Dec 30, 2014 5:35 am

Startin to come together nicely :P

Going to finish up buildings, then start adding a bit more cover around the map.
Demolitions

Postby Penguininnabox » Tue Dec 30, 2014 9:57 am

Damn, thats really looking nice! Are you planning to keep it so players can climb up on the buildings? If so, try to keep that in mind while you place cover.
Scout wrote:How the hell did these arctic animals get so good with firearms?
Penguininnabox

Postby Black_Stormy » Tue Dec 30, 2014 10:40 am

Very nice! Looking forward to playtesting this.
Black_Stormy

Postby Demolitions » Wed Dec 31, 2014 3:39 am

Woop Woop ingame screenies

Demolitions

Postby Black_Stormy » Wed Dec 31, 2014 12:10 pm

Looking very good! I can see sniping becoming a problem though, it's very open. Maybe you could put more awnings on some of those buildings to provide high cover, or more buildings! I love the detail you're putting on the BSP as well, keep it up.
Black_Stormy

Postby Demolitions » Wed Dec 31, 2014 6:03 pm

Black_Stormy wrote:Looking very good! I can see sniping becoming a problem though, it's very open. Maybe you could put more awnings on some of those buildings to provide high cover, or more buildings! I love the detail you're putting on the BSP as well, keep it up.

Well the rooftops aren't going to be accessible by the players, just the awning/ catwalks.
Demolitions

Postby Ott » Fri Jan 02, 2015 5:00 pm

Demolitions wrote:
Black_Stormy wrote:Looking very good! I can see sniping becoming a problem though, it's very open. Maybe you could put more awnings on some of those buildings to provide high cover, or more buildings! I love the detail you're putting on the BSP as well, keep it up.

Well the rooftops aren't going to be accessible by the players, just the awning/ catwalks.

Make sure you block it off in a believable manner, and even then put an invisible wall on it. Players can jump surprisingly high.
ImageImage
Ott

Next

Return to Community Submissions