Grenade Options

What about werewolves?

Moderator: Scout

Re: Grenade Options

Postby Vino » Wed Sep 17, 2014 2:41 am

I know I did a semi necro with this thead but read my two posts back and that will give you some context for what I want to do with the shots/PCP. It will be something that can be chosen instead of the grenade, so it will cut grenade usage in half on the basis that half as many people will have grenades.

Something could be done about throwing too many at a time though.
[ Tw | Fb | G+ ]
Vino
We'll see

Postby Penguininnabox » Wed Sep 17, 2014 7:53 am

Vino wrote:Something could be done about throwing too many at a time though.

2 suggestions here:

1. The "1-button throw" could be removed, making grenade throws more impactful as you are risking more to take the time to pull it out.

2. If you REALLY dont wanna see the "1-button throw" go away, at least make it so players cant shoot while they throw the damn things! My growing complaint with grenades is that most players will use them like a panic button. Only really throwing in close combat where they have already all but lost.
Scout wrote:How the hell did these arctic animals get so good with firearms?
Penguininnabox

Postby Black_Stormy » Wed Sep 17, 2014 8:39 am

Penguininnabox2 wrote:1. The "1-button throw" could be removed, making grenade throws more impactful as you are risking more to take the time to pull it out.

I like this idea. We should test it out. You know how hard it is to chuck a grenade with one hand? Especially when you have a rifle in the other. Those pins are often hard to pull out. Nades as an actual weapon would definitely slow down the spam, but it is kinda frustrating for those times when a quick grenade is really necessary. Maybe having the grenade as a seperate weapon entry (with a v_model and such) can be the standard, and then Nitrophiliac can use the 1-button throw. That would give that class more of a reason to exist as well. I can make the v_model and D can animate like a demon so the art load isn't much of an issue for this.

Did the nitrophiliac grenades ever get that dmg reduce and physics effect buff?
Black_Stormy

Postby Ott » Wed Sep 17, 2014 11:16 am

Replace F with brawl. Middle clicking without changing weapons is hard.
ImageImage
Ott

Postby Black_Stormy » Wed Sep 17, 2014 11:56 am

I have mine set to rmb, and stunt to tab.
Black_Stormy

Postby Vino » Wed Sep 17, 2014 12:53 pm

Originally the grenade was a separate weapon and it had its own problems, but grenade spam was there. At the time i fixed it by doing other things, and changing it to f didn't increase spam and did increase usability, so I'm not inclined to go back.

There could stand to be more of a delay while throwing it though, to make it more of a risk.
[ Tw | Fb | G+ ]
Vino
We'll see

Postby Rai » Wed Sep 17, 2014 3:13 pm

Can we at least make it so, that if multiple nades are thrown. The first grenade makes the other ones explode?
This way there isn't a grenade going off every 0.5 second and all at once..if they're thrown in the correct time span and range.
Rai

Postby Black_Stormy » Wed Sep 17, 2014 4:09 pm

I think an unexplained delay would be frustrating in game. We would need some kind of animation so the player knows the grenade is coming. Maybe just lowering the gun and a bit of hand animation?

Also nades blowing up other nades sounds great.
Black_Stormy

Postby Penguininnabox » Wed Sep 17, 2014 4:39 pm

Nades blowing up other nades might be the answer I was hunting for.

Also, Vino, as someone who played back when grenades were their own weapon, perhaps it was just me, but I didn't even see HALF of the grenades I do now. Back then almost no one used them, and while that is a problem of its own, in fact its the main reason I hesitated on my last post so much, nades as they are now can really kill the fun of an entire match. Having thought about this more at school today though, most of the frustrating nade spam memories i have seem to stem from rooftops and other wide open maps like it. Would reducing the force the grenades are thrown with make them too hard to use? Spam would be down quite a bit if I wasn't getting hit by throws from halfway across the map.
Penguininnabox

Postby Dementei » Wed Sep 17, 2014 6:52 pm

I think the best option here is just having grenades as an individual weapon that you have to take out to use, grenades blowing up other nades would be catastrophic.. that may actually increase nade spam, the person to throw first would account for the kills right? I'm thinking this is where we could definitely look to TS for, nades were a drop in the map you had to find them or they came as a powerup, there is absolutely no nade spam in TS and when someone throws one it's a big deal. Obviously how this would work is by adding a grenade weapon entity that would need added to every map, don't think compiling is necessary either, perhaps at least 3 different spawns could be added and only one to be spawned per use to keep it random and clear of nade spam. Also possibly include another GUI sprite if a player is near a spawned grenade to pick it up, much like in L4D.

This suggestion is to simply eradicate grenade spam and give objective to obtaining nades, if you guys want that then this is probably the best bet.
Dementei
BIG D

Postby The_Silver » Thu Sep 18, 2014 6:02 am

Wouldn't require a lot less work to simply give Grenades high inventory slots weight instead of ZERO? :roll: Force players to choose between having a rifle (maybe even a second handgun) OR a grenade and you will have grenades spam drastically reduced while also increasing tactical loadout choices, and without any GUI/mapping/coding work too. :wink:
Better to reign in Hell, than serve in Heaven.
The_Silver

Postby Black_Stormy » Thu Sep 18, 2014 8:46 am

^ This. Entirely this. I just changed the nade weight from 0 to 10. Now I can only have one weapon and a nade, or akimbos and a nade. Makes nades a consideration, not a given. No effort. Nadespam curtailed. CUT PRINT SHIP.
Black_Stormy

Postby Penguininnabox » Thu Sep 18, 2014 9:05 am

Hadn't mentioned upping the nades weight cause I thought something that simple was already planned. 0 weight for nades seemed stupid from the start. Although I do really like the idea of having nades spawn rather than be a part of a loadout. Thinking back, wasn't there talk of having heavy weapons spawn as their own minigame? We could have like a 4-shot bouncy nade launcher spawn, and the player who has it is marked so the gun can be fought over.
Penguininnabox

Postby Vino » Thu Sep 18, 2014 12:08 pm

The weight used to be higher, I don't remember why I turned it down. No reason not to try turning it back up again.
[ Tw | Fb | G+ ]
Vino
We'll see

Postby Vino » Sun Sep 21, 2014 1:00 pm

Oh yeah I remember why I turned it down. Because I planned to eventually make grenades a separate category of thing ("accessory" or something) that you buy separately from the weapons and you can only have one of.

Instead of that, as a stopgap I'm going to scale down the radius and damage of grenades when there are more than 8 people on the server. That should cut down on the spam a good bit I imagine.
[ Tw | Fb | G+ ]
Vino
We'll see

PreviousNext

Return to Ideas and Suggestions