Custom Playermodel Support

What about werewolves?

Moderator: Scout

Custom Playermodel Support

Postby minmi96 » Mon Oct 13, 2014 9:07 am

Hello, This is my first idea/suggestion for Double Action, so please be gentle, go easy, ect.

I Would love to see Custom Playermodel Support where you can add new Playermodels without overwriting any files like in Garry's Mod & Obsidian Conflict, It would be fun to stunt diving/shooting people up around as a different character IMO.

Please tell me what you think is good about this idea and whats bad, and don't be harsh thanks. 8)
minmi96

Re: Custom Playermodel Support

Postby Black_Stormy » Mon Oct 13, 2014 10:22 am

Well we're having problems getting new player models at all so this kind of system wouldn't really have priority for us at the moment. It would be cool though.
Black_Stormy

Postby Trop » Mon Oct 13, 2014 12:24 pm

I was going to port some Garry's Mod citizen player models over and allow people on my server to choose from them with a sourcemod plugin.. "SetEntityModel not supported by this mod"

:(

Could you guys please sneak that in for the Steam release? :D
Trop

Postby Rai » Mon Oct 13, 2014 12:55 pm

Trop wrote:I was going to port some Garry's Mod citizen player models over and allow people on my server to choose from them with a sourcemod plugin.. "SetEntityModel not supported by this mod"

:(

Could you guys please sneak that in for the Steam release? :D

Not happening, it's finishing touches to the finish line at the moment.
Rai

Postby Black_Stormy » Mon Oct 13, 2014 2:40 pm

How savvy are you with programming? I don't think we'll be adding it for the steam release but all the mods source code is still up on github...
Black_Stormy

Postby Trop » Mon Oct 13, 2014 3:46 pm

Not savvy enough unfortunately. Oh well, maybe the SourceMod people will figure out how to add it on their end after DAB gets a bit more popular.
Trop

Postby Scout » Mon Oct 13, 2014 6:50 pm

Another advantage of distributing on Steam is that we can have a Double Action workshop, meaning people can showcase an share models (and animations and maps) they've created. Getting the workshop up and running is definitely on the to-do list, but it's a long list.
Scout

Postby Bobby Buns » Fri Feb 20, 2015 2:07 pm

I don't know much about this, but custom face textures wouldn't be too hard. I mean, sprays are just textures, and they work right?
Bobby Buns

Postby Black_Stormy » Sun Feb 22, 2015 3:39 pm

Yeah if you have some photoshop skills you should be able to reskin a head. The files for that are here:
dab/materials/models/player
You'll need to edit the .vtf files (which are just valves fancy excuse for .tga). There are vtf plugins for Photoshop and GIMP and you can get VTFEdit to do more technical stuff with them too.

Then use the model viewer to check your changes as you go - f5 refreshes the viewport.
Black_Stormy

Return to Ideas and Suggestions