Beta Discussion

What about werewolves?

Moderator: Scout

Beta Discussion

Postby Penguininnabox » Mon Oct 13, 2014 4:20 pm

I'm liking the beta so far, however I thought I would open a thread just on general thoughts on this new version. Not so much bug reporting, that can just go in the normal bug report thread, but how the beta "feels" for a lack of a better word.

To start, I dont know what it is, but im still not digging the filters too much, Im fiddling with my brightness settings to see if i can find a setting where I DO like them, perhaps I'm just destined to hate them.

Slightly related note, whats not helping the filter's case at all is how dark these maps can end up. Streets is about as dark as it should get imo, and even then i would say it could be a bit brighter. Perhaps if we had more color on the playermodels? I never seem to have a hard time seeing Eightball.

On the subject of maps, are Highwire and Brewery meant to be in this release? Both seem quite unfinished. Brewery has 2 leaks ive found so far, and in quite obvious places as well.
NSFW: show
(That 2nd one is in the big outside area incase its hard to tell)

And Highwire is just too damn dark on the "construction side", I'm often finding myself lighting my way with the muzzle flash of my gun.

I still think im getting too many style points even with the bonuses reduced to 1.5, but ive only played against bots so far.

Which brings me nicely to my last point, are there any planned playtest games for this version coming? Or are we waiting for more people to get a hold of it first?
Scout wrote:How the hell did these arctic animals get so good with firearms?
Penguininnabox

Re: Beta Discussion

Postby Scout » Mon Oct 13, 2014 6:46 pm

Thanks for your feedback, penguin (as always!). The purpose of releases those "beta" keys was to catch quick tweaks we can make last minute, so making a thread for that was a good idea.

I can schedule playtests through the Steam group but it might be best for people to talk it out here as well.
Scout

Postby Black_Stormy » Mon Oct 13, 2014 7:48 pm

Highwire and brewery are definitely not going to be in the release, they're just two maps I'm fiddling with.
Black_Stormy

Postby Ott » Mon Oct 13, 2014 8:32 pm

If vino didn't already fix this, quick weapon switch still requires you to click before you can start shooting.
ImageImage
Ott

Postby Dementei » Tue Oct 14, 2014 7:01 am

Ott wrote:If vino didn't already fix this, quick weapon switch still requires you to click before you can start shooting.

+1
Dementei
BIG D

Postby Vino » Tue Oct 14, 2014 6:10 pm

Penguininnabox2 wrote:To start, I dont know what it is, but im still not digging the filters too much, Im fiddling with my brightness settings to see if i can find a setting where I DO like them, perhaps I'm just destined to hate them.

Aw man and I was so hoping that reducing the filter strength near the center of the screen would help. Can you be more specific about what you don't like about them? Too bright, too dark?
[ Tw | Fb | G+ ]
Vino
We'll see

Postby Penguininnabox » Tue Oct 14, 2014 8:29 pm

The filters seem too dark(that is the slomo one, havent seen the style boost one yet), but I'm not yet ready to blame it on the filters themselves. Our current set of maps vary GREATLY in terms of brightness levels, thats why I only ever hear people complain about the style boost filter on rooftops. How plausible would it be to have the filters adjust themselves based on the maps brightness levels? Have some sort of entity inside a map to dictate how bright/dark the filters should be? Or if thats not an option, there could be some sort of folder where text files dictating this sort of thing could be placed. All the default maps are packaged with the mod itself, and have a system in place to allow custom maps to add their own configs. And as a last note, what if the effect was lessend around the center of the screen? If I'm in slomo, the edges can get as dark as they want for the most part, I just wanna be able to see what I'm shooting at.
Penguininnabox

Postby Ott » Tue Oct 14, 2014 8:59 pm

Instead of a reduce in strength in the center, a full on vignette would work nicely.
ImageImage
Ott

Postby Black_Stormy » Tue Oct 14, 2014 11:14 pm

Connecting to a server that is hosting a map you don't have tries to download the map and then disconnects with an error saying the map is missing. Not sure what's going on there.

As for the overlays, I think they look miles better. Streets doesn't go pitch black and rooftops doesn't get washed out. May I suggest a slightly tighter letterbox on style and slowmo activation? it's a good feedback indicator that an overlay is in effect, as well as a nice hat tip to cinema. I think it would look good about the same dimensions as the grey letterbox in spectator mode.
Black_Stormy

Postby Ott » Tue Oct 14, 2014 11:54 pm

Yeah, the letterbox I noticed when I first played the game, but now I never notice it anymore. It needs to be MUCH more pronounced.
ImageImage
Ott

Postby Penguininnabox » Wed Oct 15, 2014 6:58 pm

Just had a run around again, and now i can safely say: The filters are fine, execpt the super slomo one (of course, the one I see the most). Its still a good bit too dark on the nighttime maps like Cocaine and Streets.

I'm really digging the revamps of the maps, however there is a leak in streets now
NSFW: show
(and on reflection, that fence is going through the wall in quit an awkward way

And while I was diving around on rooftops, I saw some wibbily shit going on with the skybox. I think its related to the motion blur, ill try to get a vid of it up soon.
Penguininnabox

Postby Scout » Wed Oct 15, 2014 7:33 pm

Penguin, I tried to 'shop ceiling cat into that hole in the sky and failed. Please imagine that leak to be his home in DA.
Scout

Postby Vino » Thu Oct 16, 2014 11:04 am

DO IT STORMY CEILING CAT IN DA
[ Tw | Fb | G+ ]
Vino
We'll see

Postby Scout » Thu Oct 16, 2014 9:57 pm

Steam Beta Group Playtest

With a heap of bugfixes and adjustments from feedback, DA is getting better every day. Join us this Saturday afternoon from 11am Pacific/2pm Eastern/7pm England until the evening to playtest the latest beta. A new update will come out between now and then, make sure your client is up to date and come on in!
Scout

Postby Rai » Fri Oct 17, 2014 5:10 am

Scout wrote:Steam Beta Group Playtest

With a heap of bugfixes and adjustments from feedback, DA is getting better every day. Join us this Saturday afternoon from 11am Pacific/2pm Eastern/7pm England until the evening to playtest the latest beta. A new update will come out between now and then, make sure your client is up to date and come on in!

Kcool, will put the servers up today.
Rai

Next

Return to Ideas and Suggestions