Votekick Settings

What about werewolves?

Moderator: Scout

Votekick Settings

Postby Trop » Tue Oct 14, 2014 12:08 pm

I'm not sure if this exists already but I'd like some way to configure the votekick or perhaps disable it entirely on my server. I've been votekicked several times either because two players want a server to themselves or someone baselessly accuses me of cheating. It'd be better if it was 75% yes to kick instead of 50% IMO.

It wouldn't be so bad if it the mod were more populated but getting kicked so frequently from the only low latency server with players on is kind of a bummer.
Trop

Re: Votekick Settings

Postby Rai » Tue Oct 14, 2014 1:46 pm

Agreed, combine this with an option for rcon admins to cancel the current vote. Sometimes they're just based on no good reason.
Rai

Postby Penguininnabox » Tue Oct 14, 2014 5:21 pm

I can not support this enough. Half the time my games are cut off cause 2nd place gets a little bit mad and starts a kickvote on me. Also, how long does a kickvote ban you for? I understand not wanting some dickbag who deserved to be kicked just walking back in like nothing happened, but most of the time I cant even play on another server and I just end up stopping for the day as a whole. Also how opposed would everyone be to randomizing what "yes" and "no" are mapped to? Speaking from the perspective of a person who does do this, often times a vote will pass just because all players will mash the first option and get on with the game.
Scout wrote:How the hell did these arctic animals get so good with firearms?
Penguininnabox

Postby Vino » Tue Oct 14, 2014 6:07 pm

There are a bunch of cvars set up for voting. sv_allow_votes will disable it altogether, which is maybe not what you want though. I'll see about adding the other stuff. Kick bans last 30 minutes.
[ Tw | Fb | G+ ]
Vino
We'll see

Postby Trop » Tue Oct 14, 2014 6:14 pm

Vino wrote:There are a bunch of cvars set up for voting. sv_allow_votes will disable it altogether, which is maybe not what you want though. I'll see about adding the other stuff. Kick bans last 30 minutes.

Is there a full list of cvars somewhere? I tried to find docs on it but couldn't.

I have these so far:

Code: Select all
bot_quota
da_acro_dive_arc
da_acro_mantel_height
da_acro_mantel_min_height
da_acro_roll_friction
da_acro_vault_height
da_acro_wallflip_delay
da_acro_wallflip_dist
da_acro_wallflip_gain
da_acro_wallflip_limit
da_acro_wallflip_speed
da_athletic_wallflip_limit
da_ctb_changecap
da_physpush_base
sv_allow_votes
da_speed_aimin
da_speed_prone
da_speed_roll
da_speed_run
da_speed_slide
da_acro_wallflip_gain
da_acro_wallflip_speed
da_damage_multiplier
da_weapontilt
Last edited by Trop on Tue Oct 14, 2014 6:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Trop

Postby Vino » Tue Oct 14, 2014 6:16 pm

The find command will let you search them. Type "find da_" to get all double action specific variables. Here are the vote related ones:

sv_allow_votes("sv_allow_votes", "1", 0, "Allow voting?");
sv_vote_failure_timer("sv_vote_failure_timer", "300", 0, "A vote that fails cannot be re-submitted for this long");
sv_vote_quorum_ratio( "sv_vote_quorum_ratio", "0.6", 1, "The minimum ratio of players needed to vote on an issue to resolve it.", true, 0.1, true, 1.0 );
sv_vote_allow_spectators( "sv_vote_allow_spectators", "0", 0, "Allow spectators to vote?" );
sv_vote_ui_hide_disabled_issues( "sv_vote_ui_hide_disabled_issues", "1", 0, "Suppress listing of disabled issues in the vote setup screen." );

Got that from the vote controller code, there may be more in another part of the code.
[ Tw | Fb | G+ ]
Vino
We'll see

Postby Trop » Tue Oct 14, 2014 6:19 pm

Thanks, the sv_vote_quorum_ratio is what I was looking for.
Trop

Postby Penguininnabox » Tue Oct 14, 2014 8:21 pm

Vino wrote:Kick bans last 30 minutes.

Damn, really? Dont you think that a bit long for a vote that defaults to 60% majority?(That is if I'm reading the defaults on those cvars correctly) I would say somthing along the lines of 5-8 min would be better. Trolls wont wait that long, especially if they arnt aware of just how long the timer is, while not making baseless kick victims wait too long. I suppose the best option would be to make baseless kicks happen less often, but Im not really sure how we would go about that other than improving the quality of the community and raising the kickvote percentage to 75%. Or perhaps Im just biased from getting kicked out of 2 servers in a row. :roll:
Scout wrote:How the hell did these arctic animals get so good with firearms?
Penguininnabox

Postby Ott » Tue Oct 14, 2014 9:02 pm

Ban until map change.
ImageImage
Ott

Postby Vino » Wed Oct 15, 2014 11:29 am

Trop wrote:Thanks, the sv_vote_quorum_ratio is what I was looking for.

Actually probably it doesn't. The quorum is how many people have to participate in the vote for it not to be thrown out.

Example: 10 people in a server. 9 of them don't vote, 1 votes yes. Then even though 100% of people who voted voted yes, the vote fails because it didn't pass quorum. So quorum at 0.6 means that 60% of people have to actually vote, or the vote gets thrown out entirely.

I think what you want is to change the number of people who have to vote yes for it to pass and that doesn't exist, and anyway after some brainstorming I have some better strategies for dealing with voting which I'll outline here for the sake of discussion.

I think a big part of the problem is, "Well someone started a vote against this guy so he must be a jerk. I'll vote yes because groupthink." Randomizing wouldn't help, I think. My attempt would be to change the text and thereby change what the user should base their decisions on. So instead of "Player A wants to kick player B":"Yes"/"No" you would see "Player A wants to kick player B":"He is a jerk, kick him"/"No, he is cool"/"Who?" So now if the option comes up you're asking the user to make a judgment on the person being kicked. People may be less willing to make a judgment on someone they don't know is actually a jerk. Moreover it outlines the reason for kicking people - we kick people because they're jerks. Ideally people will kick on the basis of jerkness and not on the basis of scoreboard position. Plus the availability of an abstain option lets them conscientiously not vote if they don't have enough information - it makes it okay not to groupthink. I prefer that to raising the percentage of yes votes, which would make it harder to kick legitimate trolls.
[ Tw | Fb | G+ ]
Vino
We'll see

Postby Trop » Wed Oct 15, 2014 11:44 am

Vino wrote:I think what you want is to change the number of people who have to vote yes for it to pass and that doesn't exist, and anyway after some brainstorming I have some better strategies for dealing with voting which I'll outline here for the sake of discussion.

+1

This should help a lot.
The last time I got votekicked was for "not dying from grenades" and if people knew that was why then it might have been dismissed.

-edit

Oops, misread. Thought it'd show the reason the player wanted to kick the other. Still a good idea though.
Trop

Postby Trop » Wed Oct 15, 2014 3:33 pm

It appears votes don't get logged into the server console. Could you add this for votes started, who voted what and what the result is?
Trop

Return to Ideas and Suggestions