legal questions about using music in youtube vids

Don't eat it all at once

Moderator: Scout

legal questions about using music in youtube vids

Postby nocturne saint » Sun Sep 14, 2014 10:19 pm

So I know that now days a lot of people get itchy when it comes to using music in youtube videos unless it is composed completely by the person uploading the video.

so without accidentally turning heads towards me in a situation where i would use music in a youtube video, what do you guy's suggest to go about this without getting videos pulled or getting legal issues of any kind?

i know this is a touchy subject now a days, so before i accidentally light myself on fire, i would like some advice and suggestions.
nocturne saint

Re: legal questions about using music in youtube vids

Postby Black_Stormy » Sun Sep 14, 2014 10:35 pm

Thre are a lot of royalty free music sites out here, I think some of them are even geared towards youtube use. I have used lots of different music from different sources on my youtube videos and have never had one taken down. It seems to be the luck of the draw. Also I get an acverage of about 300 views per video so no one gives a damn about me and my copyright infringements. Pretty much the worst that happens is they take your video down. If that happens just change the music and re-up it.
Black_Stormy

Postby Scout » Sun Sep 14, 2014 11:17 pm

Moving this to off-topic, as it's only tangentially related to the game.

I'll also echo what Stormy said: use music where the creator has explicitly given permission, whether from a site specifically hosting royalty-free music or from creative commons. Give the creator credit if you use their work; it's only fair. For example, Vino found the music in the DA trailer that way.
Scout

Postby Ott » Sun Sep 14, 2014 11:46 pm

If you only get a few thousand views per video, you can probably get away with just pitching the audio up a few semitones.
ImageImage
Ott

Return to Off-topic